Saturday 2 July 2016

Casting my ballot

Nearly 6 years ago I wrote a piece where I complained about the election process in Australia. Given the complete lack of candidates who can be even remotely trusted to follow through with their promises. Given that breaking election promises is now even so common that its almost expected (the media no longer even really lambastes it) I propose that we are nothing more than prisoners forced to vote for a bunch of crooks who have their own interests firmly in heart. Given that Australia has compulsory voting it seems appropriate we are able to send a message to the members of the parties which is appropriate.

Since we have the compulsory vote I would like to propose a system where by all ballot papers give me an option like this possible extra ballot tick box. This would allow me to state clearly I don't like any of the above (or below).

Making it clear that I'm not making a mistake, I don't like any of them and feel none of them are representing me.

Perhaps we could develop this idea further, and suggest that if enough people voted this way (say more than any other party before preference allocation) then it would be sending a clear message (to at least the Electoral Commission) that voters were dissatisfied with the choices and probably the performance of the previous government and the Opposition.

I'd say that if "none of these buggers" were to receive a majority vote, then they're clearly not performing and perhaps their salary would / should be docked and they no longer receive parlimentary benefits.

I guess we could apply this at least to the PM (with whom the buck should stop) and perhaps the entire front bench.

I really like this idea.

More than this guy really likes that stick ... but I'm not sure where to take this idea too ... as I'm certain that my local MP will not like it anywhere near as much as I do.

This raises an interesting quandary ... to whom do we complain to when the leaders suck as badly as they do?

1 comment:

Lens Bubble said...

I share the same view with you on this. I rarely vote because I know none of the candidates would be different than the others. All of them work for the big corporations who write them cheques for election fund.