Thursday 6 September 2012

Sustainable (active) transport

One of the things I like about Finland is that people actually use bicycles in their daily lives for actual transport. They ride them to work and even take their kids places using them.

Anita (my wife) used to work in a section of Queensland Government which was involved with transport planning. Being here now and seeing this again reminds me of what Australia is doing wrong in both town planning and promoting healthy lifestyles.

Finnish people seem to stick at it despite less than favourable weather too.

Perhaps thats sisu

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm been thinking about doing the same, if for no other reason than the exercise. Walking to the tube station isn't doing it for me.

writeagenn said...

Can't help but notice another difference ... no locks. My own 'cycling as transport' ambitions were twice thwarted when my locked bikes were not around for the trip home.

Lens Bubble said...

As someone who bikes to work everyday, I quite understand the value of bicycles. Not only does it not produce harmful exhaust, it's the primary means of exercise for me. Of course, I also save > $1500 a year in public transport costs.

Toronto is a bike loving city. Lots of people bike to work. On any given day, there are hundreds of bikes locked on the street where I work. The city is also slowly converting some streets to have dedicated bicycle lanes as well.