Tuesday 17 July 2012

Quick hack of my E63

One of the few weaknesses of my Nokia E63 is the blinking alert light. To be honest its a bit marginal in its strength and can only be seen well from the right angle. Especially when compared to my E72.

Sure viewed front on in a darkened room its clear, but sitting on the table from across the room its just limp.

I had an idea (looking at a replacement phone shell I bought) that it may actually be clear plastic under that black plastic exterior. So I took a punt and pulled out my dremel tool and ground off a small patch.


Well wouldn't ya know it I was right! Now it blinks so brightly its visible across the room. So I can see if I've missed a call as soon as it comes into my sight. Just to make it a little less strange feeling I've filled the dent from the grinder with some clear nail polish.

Fantastic. It makes me pause for a moment and reflect that only Nokia could make such a good idea as the blinking alert light fail by putting their light under a cover. I mean this is so old a concept that even the Bible has a reference to its stupidity.

"No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light.

[photo taken with my E72 and posted from there too]

No comments: